Thursday, August 5, 2010

Mr. Wiggles





As baby's arrival date swiftly approaches, I have been thinking a lot about my dog lately. Weird? Yes, it kind of is, but I guess I am a little weird about that sweet little hound dog of mine.

I know several (awesome) people that have recently had children who have had beloved pets before baby; who's pets are now mere responsibilities and even in some cases reduced to unwanted annoyances. I feel scared and sad that I might be like this after the baby is born. Although truthfully I can't imagine doing it, I'm sure everyone has good intentions initially.

Call me crazy, but it kind of keeps me up at night worrying about it. Mark and I talk about it sometimes and we have both made a vow to treat him no differently. Not that Baxter's hard- he sleeps 90% of the time, eats once a day, and doesn't even need a walk (bassets are very snuggly, sedentary dogs by nature). But I question how do you love your pet the same after your life has been altered so deeply by becoming a parent? Why do so many well intentioned people neglect their dog (emotionally) after a baby has come into the picture?

I attempt to answer that in this blog and hope that it serves as a reminder as to why I am vowing to not change my feelings towards my little hound.

I'm not (in the slightest bit) worried about Baxter being aggressive or snippy or dangerous with the baby. I know him better than that- not a mean bone in that dog's body. How do I know for sure? Because he's been my dog for 5 years and I know him through and through. Because I've seen him around dozens of kids and he does great. Because I am simply not worried, and feel it's stupid to worry about something that you know so inherently to not be an issue. You may argue that I could not know that for sure, and I would promptly argue back that I do know that for sure. I know him and I know his nature. I also know myself and I know that situation would never even be able to materialize.

I am worried, however, that he will be sad and left out and frightened by the new loud sounds of baby and the lack of constant attention (even though, truth be told, he'd prefer less attention than he gets these days).

But, can't a parent love more than one child? I know that that is a truth. Parents have the capacity of loving 2,3, 4, 10 children equally. (My grandma loved 13 of them.) If that is a truth, then why can't a parent love more than one species of a child?

Well I'm going to!!! And these are the reasons why he's worth the effort. These are the reasons I will never neglect him in any way (writing these shall hopefully serve as my reminder when things get tough):

I truly love him.

He makes me happy all the time. A hug from him rivals any persons affection.

I worry about him incessantly when he is sick or not happy.

He can never be replaced, and is a unique soul.

I will stand up for him to anyone and I will do everything I can to make sure he's healthy and well cared for.

I miss him so much when I am on vacation that it makes vacation a little less fun.

I am immensely happy that he will be our son's first pet.

Mark loves him just as much as I do. Our first "child" will always be a slobbery hound.

Even though he's a responsibility, he's worth it and he brings nothing but joy to our lives.


So, even though we are having a baby, I am hereby vowing that I will never neglect my dog. No matter what!!!! There I said it.... Long live Baxter!

No comments:

Post a Comment