Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My Pregnancy and What I Didn't Know Would Happen to Me



Overall I've had a really great pregnancy. I am a lucky woman to have such a healthy and wonderful pregnancy. (Especially since two months before Ollie was conceived I was told I probably wouldn't be able to conceive at all). It took no time at all to get pregnant. 4 weeks later there was 4 positive tests ( I was thorough), and we were on our way to parenthood.

I always wanted to experience pregnancy. Adoption is an amazing opportunity for some parents but I always wanted to be able to experience what it would be like to carry MY child. To feel the kicks and rub my belly and read it books and all that jazz. I always wanted to feel important and close to it and carry it like a badge. I wanted funny cravings that would send my poor husband to the grocery store at midnight and I wanted to be asked every day by every stranger when I was due. I thought it would be fun and amazing and immensely special!

I think I had such a rose-glassed vision of what pregnancy would be like: happy woman, cute bump, excited dad. However, there were things I had never imagined would happen to me happened. I won't go into the gory details but I will outline the good and the bad in one fell swoop (or one blog). I wish I had read something like this while I was going through this (granted every woman and every pregnancy is different).

What I love about pregnancy:
*Everyday I wake up and lay in bed and rub my belly. I am SO amazed by him. I feel like it's all been a dream and I feel incredibly happy that my baby is being made. It's intense! It takes about 10 minutes to get passed the awe.
*I love that my belly is growing big, (note this is also in my dislikes) because it means that I work. My body is capable of making this little person and that is beyond amazing.
*I love that this baby is part of me and part of Mark and there is no-one else in the world like him.
*I love that I get to not worry about dieting for 9.5 months. Lame I know, but I'm tired of dieting! Not that a doozy of a diet isn't right around the corner.
*I love that I get to know what it feels like to experience pregnancy, it makes me feel incredibly important to the world. I know billions of women have experienced it too. But no-one can take this away from me. To me, it's a unique experience and as special as anything could ever be.
*I love feeling him kick, roll, push, jab and hiccup. He's so cute in there. I get to imagine him doing it on the outside and I get visions of him running as a toddler, a kid, a teen, a man. I can't wait to meet him. His kicks are reminders that he's really a kid.
*I love that it makes Mark happy and that it completes our family.
*I loooove my child, even if he is still internal little moving mass of belly. I Love love love love love him!

What I don't like and what I was surprised about happening to me:
*Heartburn is so painful. It can wake you up from a dead sleep and make you wish for death. I have tums in every purse and every coat pocket. I have had it since week 13, it's awful and I hate it. I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. Misery!
*Other Fun Symptoms: (These are mine:) Intense heart palpitations that have sent me to the ER, terrible acne (which is ironic since I'm an esthetician), Chloasma (mask of pregnancy), intense pain in my pelvis and other southern bones, sciatica, stretch marks, leg cramps, unrecognizable body parts (I will leave this up to your imagination), nausea (only slightly as I got lucky), fatique (two naps a day sometimes), swelling, peeing ALL THE TIME (up to 10 times a night), insomnia, intense dreams and nightmares.
* The fact that I've gained so much weight, it's terribly depressing. I'm enormous. Plus the fact that I know how deflated and flabby I'm going to look and feel after he's born. It's going to take years to get back to normal I fear. But... sigh.. it's worth it.
* Getting sick while you're pregnant (flu, cold, etc.) is the most miserable experience ever. You can't take anything for it and it's beyond awful. ( I had to get on a plane while I was sick and will definitely count this as my one of my all time most painful experiences).
* When people make rude comments to you about how huge you are. Definitely deflates the glowing prego ego.
* The knowledge that anything could go wrong at any time. This is very scary. It keeps you up in the middle of the night counting kicks and looking up internet articles.
* Nesting- it's a phenomenon that can't be described. Everything has to be in its place or you freak out. It's like OCD.
* The fact that western medicine scares the crap out of you at every turn (so many tests so many false positives, etc.) designed to be "cautious" but really just stress you out.
* The fact that you encounter people that aren't happy for you.
* No more wine!!

That's my pregnancy in a nutshell. Is it what I thought it would be? Perhaps? Am I ready to be done? YES!! Today marks 1 more month until my due date. One more little month before Oliver the baby rocks our world!!

BRING IT ON!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment